California’s Title 24 energy code requires all new construction and renovation projects to meet certain energy efficiency standards. To ensure compliance, building owners and contractors must submit a Title 24 report to the building department before construction can begin. In this article, we will guide you through the Title 24 submittal process and help you navigate the building department with ease.
Steps in the Title 24 Submittal Process
- Gather information: Before you can submit Title 24 Calcs, you’ll need to gather information about your building project, including floor plans, construction materials, and energy-saving features.
- Choose a compliance method: The Title 24 energy code offers two compliance methods – prescriptive and performance. You’ll need to choose which method you’ll use to demonstrate compliance with the code.
- Prepare construction documents: The next step is to prepare construction documents to submit to the building department, including calculations, specifications, and plans. You can either prepare this documentation yourself or work with a Title 24 consultant.
- Submit the construction documents: Once your project documents are ready, you can submit the Title 24 report to the building department.
- Review and approval: The building department will review your submittal and either approve it or request additional information or changes. This process can take several weeks, so it’s important to allow plenty of time before construction begins.
Tips for a Successful Title 24 Submittal
- Work with a Title 24 consultant: A Title 24 consultant can help you prepare the documentation, ensure that your submittal is complete and accurate, and streamline the review process.
- Allow plenty of time: The review and approval process can take several weeks, so it’s important to allow plenty of time before construction begins.
- Be prepared for changes: The building department may request changes to your submittal, so be prepared to make any necessary adjustments.
- Stay organized: Keep all of your Title 24 submittal documentation organized and easily accessible.
- In conclusion, the Title 24 submittal process can be complex, but working with a Title 24 consultant and allowing plenty of time for review and approval can help ensure a successful outcome. By following these tips and guidelines, you can navigate the building department with ease and ensure that your building project meets the energy efficiency standards set by the state of California.